Motivational Monday: Samwise Gamgee's Wisdom



This is one of my favorite scenes in a movie. It is worth watching on a Monday.

" Sam: It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."



So friends. Let me ask you this on a Monday.

Are you pushing ahead or giving up and turning back?

And I cannot point my finger at you, for I have felt like quitting more times in the last week than in my whole career as a teacher.

And yet I will not. I want to be a hero in a story of how the world changed and I did not quit but was part of a movement of great people who believed in civilizing the New Frontier.

I want to be part of the group of educators who was grossly misunderstood and mischaracterized and yet did not stop.

It matters not if anyone ever praises me. What matters is doing the right thing and not quitting.

And folks. Although we may disagree, let us remember, that for the most part, most of us out here in the edublogosphere are on the same team. Don't forget it.

tag: , , , , ,

Popular Posts